Roles & Responsibilities of a Datastage Developer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

asvictor
Participant

Roles & Responsibilities of a Datastage Developer

Post by asvictor »

Hi,

Can some one tell where I can find a documentation for Roles and Resp of a Datastage Developer as well as Administrator.

Cheers,

Victor
Victor Auxilium
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

There are none that I know of. From my experience, every customer is different, every customer has a different funding model. Where one company may have a team of 35 to handle a full SDLC model, another company could have 4 people to do everything from analysis thru deployment.

I think your question would be better framed as:

What are the tasks of a DataStage developer?

What are the tasks of a DataStage administrator?
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
asvictor
Participant

Tasks for Datastage Developer & Administrator

Post by asvictor »

Yes kenneth,

You are right. I need to know about the tasks of a Datastage Developer
and Tasks of a Datastage Administrator

Cheers,

Victor
Victor Auxilium
sdevashis
Participant

Post by sdevashis »

Well for my team its two and two for everything....Kenneth is perfectly right in saying that. ROLES are always relative to the organization and the person responsible should decided who is what and who can and to what extent???
/*Devashis*/
Teej
Participant

Re: Roles & Responsibilities of a Datastage Developer

Post by Teej »

asvictor wrote:Can some one tell where I can find a documentation for Roles and Resp of a Datastage Developer as well as Administrator.
That's ME! :)

1. Develop kick ass applications!
2. Keep server alive 24/7!

:)

Seriously, it depends on the load that is placed on the person. With someone like me responsible for ensuring that 40-some staff are able to use DataStage, and to respond to problems and issues, I found that my time is usually 30% dedicated to my own code, and 70% dedicated to administrative tasks (including R&D such as reading this forum. ;-))

Tasks also include ensuring that long term DataStage planning are being implemented successfully -- Such as identifying overloading servers, and providing remedies to improve said overloaded servers.

I am also involved in a lot of the review steps during the SDLC process in developing applications because I'm a stickler for details. People also approaches me whenever they see an unusual situation (especially a fatal error message that is totally unclear which happens far too often for PX)

You will need to identify what is important for your company in regards to DataStage development and administration. You have to evaluate the person that is to be assigned to this position -- how much should this person be responsible for? Should this person have 'root' access (in order to handle really serious issues that RARELY happens, along with installation)? Should this person lead the initatives to ensure that good job designs are utilized (Nothing is worse on the administrator than trying to make sure a poorly designed job performs well)? Is this person capable of the diplomacy needed to provide a working solution for DataStage (Production Team - should they be allowed access to Designer/Manager at all?) Should this person be responsible for MetaStage, AuditStage, QualityStage, et cetera?

There is a lot of interworking relationship within your company that you need to identify. Why not just put together a rough draft and ask us if there are anything more we can suggest to be added?

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).