Error Message and line number.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

larryoceanview
Participant

Error Message and line number.

Post by larryoceanview »

How do I cross reference the line number error mesage to the mapped field.

Keep in mind I have 300 mapped fields, and going through them on an individual basis against a 5000 record file is not an option.

The line number 1217 should equal a single mapped field. I know it is not in a routine otherwise it would have the routine name.

Any logging options, etc.

Error Message follows:

Program "JOB.1912471813.DT.1314921430.TRANS2": Line 1217, Nonnumeric data when numeric required. Zero used.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
well you could get the line via head & tail something like (I don't have unix available now) head +1217 file_name | tail -1.
but to be on the safe side check -2 +2 range from that row if nothing seems wrong with it.

you have no choice but go thru the fields.
or you could split the scheme and row and try loading less fields to narrow the search.

is your file fixed width or delimited?
in case of fixed width the length might be wrong for a field causing a character from another field to be read, I had so many times been told a source filed from external resources to be in this format and found out it wasn't.
or could it simply be an outdated scheme?

by the way in what stage you get this? (sequential???)

the error you get is self explanatory so you need to find exactly that, a numeric field definition that gets a nonnumeric data.

IHTH
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Your error message is the line of the code, not the data file. You obviously are doing math on a non-numeric field. Your transformer stage named TRANS2 has the issue. You can search this forum for techniques of reading the precompiled code.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can inspect that code if you wish.

Step 1. Determine the job number. It's probably a part of the error message - or you can SELECT NAME, JOBNO FROM DS_JOBS WHERE NAME = 'jobname';

Step 2. Find the directory called RT_BPnn in your project, where nn is the job number.

Step 3. Review the file JOB.1912471813.DT.1314921430.TRANS2 in that RT_BPnn directory. You should be able to figure out which expression is being evaluated (and emitting the error message), and to track back from there that a row contains non-numeric data where a numeric value is required.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
larryoceanview
Participant

Where is RT_BPnn

Post by larryoceanview »

I am not admin so my Unix find command is coming up NG.
I just have permissions to create and run a job.

If you can give me the path of where the RT_BP directory usually is from the install default I can then attempt to get the permissions I need.

Is it usually in or near the following directory:?

find: cannot read dir ./export/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/Projects/test/XXXXXX: Permission denied
raju_chvr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Where is RT_BPnn

Post by raju_chvr »

The RT_BP is usualy under the Parent/root directory of your project.

In your case if name of you project is 'test' then I guess the below path u mentioned is correct. Check it again with proper rights.

dir ./export/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/Projects/test/XXXXXX: Permission denied
larryoceanview
Participant

Worked Great!

Post by larryoceanview »

I scrolled down to line number in question and that was the mapped field that was causing the problem.
Is the RT_BPnn directory always the same for the job your working with.
mine was RT_BP1576. After multiple runs I didn't see the stats change?
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

RT_BPnnn is the pre-compiled job code file for each job. Any time you import/create a job, it is assigned a new job number, removing the old job supporting files under that number and creating them fresh under the new number.

What does "After multiple runs I didn't see the stats change?" mean? What are you talking about?
Kenneth Bland

larryoceanview
Participant

Ok everytime you create a new job, got it.

Post by larryoceanview »

I meant re-running the same Job that was created.

Stat change meant the unix time/date from the ls and byte file size.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

What are you talking about? Your post concerned a non-numeric message that had nothing to do with your source data file. We pointed out that your problem was a "line" of code. What file are you now talking about the time/date and ls and byte file size? If you're talking about the job code in the RB_BPnnnn directory, that only changes on recompilation.
Kenneth Bland

larryoceanview
Participant

Post by larryoceanview »

[ If you're talking about the job code in the RB_BPnnnn directory, that only changes on recompilation.[/quote]

Yes, that is what I am talking about? :)

Thanks,
Larry