Too many NTVDM Process Exist by DataStage Call

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dhwankim
Premium Member
Premium Member

Too many NTVDM Process Exist by DataStage Call

Post by dhwankim »

Hi Gurus.

We met DOS Command execution Problem with DataStage DSExcute Stage in Sequence Job.

Our Job call Cognos cube building batch on Windows No

batch file contain below contents
================================
rem ============================================================================
rem == IQD, Model, Cube 복 사 ==
rem ============================================================================

copy "D:\OLAP\Inc_O\Model\hlc-m-9*.pyi" "D:\OLAP\Model\"

copy "D:\OLAP\Inc_O\Source\hlc-lm-9*.iqd" "D:\OLAP\Source\"

rem == M D C 생 성 ==

"C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\bin\trnsfrmr.exe" -n -s "D:\OLAP\Model\hlc-m-91.pyi"
"C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\bin\trnsfrmr.exe" -n -s "D:\OLAP\Model\hlc-m-92.pyi"
"C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\bin\trnsfrmr.exe" -n -s "D:\OLAP\Model\hlc-m-94.pyi"
"C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\bin\trnsfrmr.exe" -n -s "D:\OLAP\Model\hlc-m-95.pyi"

rem == Cube Copy & Delete

del "D:\OLAP\Cube\*.mdc" /Q
del "D:\OLAP\Model\*.pyi" /Q
del "D:\OLAP\Source\*.iqd" /Q

exit
exit /B
=========================================

But After running Sequence Job, NTVDM process exist each run time.

It's make resource comsuption problem,(Too many process) (Especially Memory)

So I wanna to know how to quit this batch normally.

Thanks In Advance.

D.H Kim
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
Are those NTVDM processes are related to DS? (or are they related to other things like the load batch?)

if you have the same problem when running the batch from command line then there is no DS relevance in this case.

it really sounds to me like a problem with syntax in batch vrs. interactive command line, but then again I might be wrong.

can you give more details?
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I really think this would be a Cognos issue, not a DataStage one. Under Windows, 16-bit applications run in a virtual DOS machine (VDM). This VDM runs as a Win32 process (NTVDM) under Windows NT. I really doubt there is any 16-bit code in DataStage. Sounds more like your Cognos applications are not coded correctly to recognize the fact that they need to do a little bit of extra work to shutdown the NTVDM process as well as their own when they terminate if running on NT.

Do you have the same issue when you run this batch file outside of DataStage?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You might like to investigate the start command in DOS. This command starts your command in a separate window, and has options about priority and so on. Type help start | more at a DOS prompt. This may provide a mechanism to get around the issue of hanging NTVDM processes.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.