upgrade QualityStage from 7.01 to 8

Infosphere's Quality Product

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

daxinz
Premium Member
Premium Member

upgrade QualityStage from 7.01 to 8

Post by daxinz »

We purchased a perpetual license from Vality (previous name of QualityStage) years ago for both Windows and Solaris, but are currently only using the Solaris version. The last time that version was updated was in December, 2004, and we are still using that version, which is Release 7.0.1. Vality was purchased by Ascential, which renamed it Quality Stage. Ascential, in turn was purchased by IBM.

Now we want to upgrade it to version 8 and re-install it on Solaris 10. Could you please tell the precess for the upgrade? if there is a discount? Is there any important issus related to the upgrades?

Thanks
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

We do not work for IBM (we're all volunteers!).

What that means is you'll have to contact IBM to get your answers on licensing - because their policies change quite frequently.

If you are still using a pre-Ascential version of QualityStage, then you are basically using a completely different product from the current version of QualityStage. I'm not certain that there is an upgrade path from that version of the product. The differences are significant, not only for the product, but for the installation, configuration, administration and development.

If you are able to get a license for release 8, I'd recommend taking every QualityStage course IBM offers and then coming back and asking for assistance. Otherwise our answers will be of limited assistance because you don't have the correct background.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That said, if your maintenance agreement (and payments) are up to date, you are ENTITLED to a free upgrade.

Be aware, though, that the hardware requirements are significantly higher in version 8 than in version 7 - QualityStage is no longer a separate product but one of a suite of products called Information Server. While you don't have to license any other Information Server product, it is mandatory that you install a common repository, a WebSphere Application Server, and a DataStage and QualityStage engine. You will also need to learn a set of quite different administrative processes.

QualityStage version 8 is fully integrated with DataStage Designer, so many operators have been removed from QualityStage because DataStage components can perform those tasks. There are really only half a dozen or so QualityStage components. However, legacy QualityStage components are still supported.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
daxinz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by daxinz »

Ohlala. Fortunately, I am not the administrator, but I am the only user of the QualityStage in my company, and I will take some installation and configuration work. I am also confident on the application server configuration.

We are going to install QS 8 in a new computer, Solaris 10. It is welcomed to any additional instruction.

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Full instructions accompany the software. You can also get installation information from the IBM web site. You will need to install a metadata repository (DB2, Oracle or SQL Server), a WebSphere Application Server, a set of Information Server services, at least one DataStage and QualityStage engine, and client software. Plan well!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.