Moderators: chulett, rschirm

gomez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Incomplete record read from file

Post by gomez »

Hi:
We are facing an issue with one of our QualityStage jobs

The REALTOR data file contains two columns. The first column [Company_Name] should be 200 characters and the second column [Type] should be 1 character.

I am attempting to standardize the names (Inc. -> Incorporated, Inc -> Incorporated) so I can better dedupe the list.

I attempted to create the definition for the REALTOR file. I created an empty definition for the output file and created a Standardization stage selecting my input and output files. I then created a job and included the reference to my standardization stage. I only included the Company_Name field with the ZQUSZQ literal. However running the job continually resulted in an error. " Incomplete record read from file \xxx\xxx\Data\REALTOR

I also ran the job with only the first column in the source file but still ended up with the same error. I checked the metadata definition to match with the data file. Also there are no blank spaces or lines at the end of the file to cause this error.

Thanks
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

Is the stand stage running through GUI? i mean without the job? is the input to this stage a fixed width file?
tpaulaskas
Participant

Post by tpaulaskas »

Krazykoolrohit wrote:Is the stand stage running through GUI? i mean without the job? is the input to this stage a fixed width file?
I work with gomez and am the one actually encountering the error. I took a QualityStage class several months ago, but am just now getting around to being able to use the tool. Here are the steps I did.

I exported from MS Query Analyzer two columns of information. The first column "Company_Name" is 200 characters and the second column "Type" is 1 character. I removed the column header section and the trailing record count.

I then had our administrator put the file into the DATA folder of the project I am working on.

I went into Quality Stage and created a new data definition called REALTOR, of type fixed length terminated. I added a field called COMPANY_NAME which starts at position 1 with a length of 200 of type string. I added a second field called TYPE which starts at position 201 with a length of 1 of type string.

I then created another data defintion called STANOUT of type fixed length terminated. I did not add any fields to this file.

Using the GUI, I created a new stage of Standardization. I used REALTOR as the input file and STANOUT as the output file. I left the default settings for Append All and UPPERCASE. For the rule set I chose USNAME. I added a literal of ZQUSZQ and added only the COMPANY_NAME field and then clicked ADD RULE and then FINISH.

I then added a new job called RUNSTAN. I then Added the Standardize -> STAN stage to the job.

However when I attempt to run the job it fails. It says "Incomplete Record Read"

I get the same error if I try to create a Word Investigation Stage/Job and run that as well.
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

From the error message it is obvious that:
1. Either you are having an empty line at the end.
2. Length of the fields defined on the file doesn't matches the data.

Unless you resolve that you will get that error as you move from Stand to Invest stage and furtherr.Check the forum it has been discussed earlier.
I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
Thomas Alva Edison(1847-1931)