Infosphere's Quality Product

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

divstands
Participant

Orchestrate process not getting started

Post by divstands »

I have built a job which contains "Standardize Stage"

The job fails with the following error at times:

node_node1: Fatal Error: Unable to start ORCHESTRATE process on node node1 (server052): APT_PMPlayer::APT_PMPlayer: fork() failed, Resource temporarily unavailable [processmgr/player.C:401]

And at other times it works perfectly fine.
This issue comes with only those jobs which contain a Standardize Stage.

The past possible troubleshooting for the same has been:
1. Clear the memory from logs/temporary logs
2. Clear the memory otherwise
3. Restart the server
4. If the above three doesnt give the desired outcome WAIT!( may be for a day) and the job starts running.

Where can i check the status of the ORCHESTRATE PROCESSES?
Divya
ArndW
Participant

Re: Orchestrate process not getting started

Post by ArndW »

divstands wrote:fork() failed, Resource temporarily unavailable
This is a UNIX message and there are many detailed explanations available through Google of what the fork() mechanism is and how important it is to UNIX systems. If a process cannot duplicate (i.e. fork()) itself then it is usually indicative of a resource scarcity - be it virtual memory or CPU ticks.
You will never completely get rid of a fork() problem solely by changing your DataStage calling times or frequencies.
You should involve a system administrator at this point, measuring the system and identifying the causes is part of a good SA's bread-and-butter and he or she will be able to help you much quicker than if you try to gather the pertinant information yourself.
A quick solution is probably to add more memory and/or CPUs to your system or to ensure that others don't use the DataStage server system. If DataStage is the only application running on your system then chances are you will have to invest in more hardware before these problems go away.
divstands
Participant

Re: Orchestrate process not getting started

Post by divstands »

ArndW wrote:
divstands wrote:fork() failed, Resource temporarily unavailable
This is a UNIX message and there are many detailed explanations available through Google of what the fork() mechanism is and ...
I got the solution. Needed to empty Sractch--- The files created in this folder run as large as 10-20 GBs.
Also, i deleted all the past logs via Director. The job works now.
Divya