How do you make changes to USFIRSTN.TBL ?

Infosphere's Quality Product

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

bobbybooda
Participant

How do you make changes to USFIRSTN.TBL ?

Post by bobbybooda »

In version 7.x, the USFIRSTN.TBL file could be edited and first names added (to identify BOBB as ROBERT and as a Male). However, in version 8.0, I see no obvious way to add a name, its cooresponding MatchFirstName and GenderCode to the FIRSTN.TBL file. Any suggestions for this in 8.0? Thanks!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is there no longer an Edit option under the Rules > Standardize Rules Management menu? (I don't have version 8 available at the moment.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
stuartjvnorton
Participant

Re: How do you make changes to USFIRSTN.TBL ?

Post by stuartjvnorton »

bobbybooda wrote:In version 7.x, the USFIRSTN.TBL file could be edited and first names added (to identify BOBB as ROBERT and as a Male). However, in version 8.0, I see no obvious way to add a name, its cooresponding MatchFirstName and GenderCode to the FIRSTN.TBL file. Any suggestions for this in 8.0? Thanks!
If you're trying to edit USNAME it won't let you edit the files. Out of the box rulesets are read-only except for the overrides.
Make a copy the ruleset (copies are read-write) and edit the copy. To copy, right-click the SET file, select Create Copy and specify the name and folder. 8 character name restrictions still apply.

- Locate your copy and double-click the SET file to open the rules management dialog box.
- Double-click the TBL file and it will bring up the assigned text editor for you to edit the file directly.
- Save in the editor and exit.
- Hit ok in the rules management dialog to copy the local copy back to the server.
- Remember to provision the file once you've saved the ruleset.

Hope this helps.
divstands
Participant

Re: How do you make changes to USFIRSTN.TBL ?

Post by divstands »

stuartjvnorton wrote:
bobbybooda wrote:In version 7.x, the USFIRSTN.TBL file could be edited and first names added (to identify BOBB as ROBERT and as a Male). However, in version 8.0, I see no obvious way to add a name, its cooresponding MatchFirstName and GenderCode to the FIRSTN.TBL file. Any suggestions for this in 8.0? Thanks!
If you're trying to edit USNAME it won't let you edit the files. Out of the box rulesets are read-only except for the overrides.
Make a copy the ruleset (copies are read-write) and edit the copy. To copy, right-click the SET file, select Create Copy and specify the name and folder. 8 character name restrictions still apply.

- Locate your copy and double-click the SET file to open the rules management dialog box.
- Double-click the TBL file and it will bring up the assigned text editor for you to edit the file directly.
- Save in the editor and exit.
- Hit ok in the rules management dialog to copy the local copy back to the server.
- Remember to provision the file once you've saved the ruleset.

Hope this helps.

Does this apply to even those rule which have been imported?
I mean i imported MExican Ruleset( version 7.5) to IIS(v 8.0) and i am facing the same issue as explained by bobbybooda.
stuartjvnorton
Participant

Post by stuartjvnorton »

Not familiar with the Mexican ruleset.

Also, don't know whether v8.0 understands v7.5 ruleset files. The filenames of the override files changed between versions IIRC. Ray or one of the other QS boffins might be able to help you there.

One other thing about .TBL files that I forgot to mention earlier. When you copy the ruleset using DS, it still refers to the reference table that the original ruleset refers to, so they now share the 1 read-only TBL file. Not really what you're looking for.

IMO, the easiest way to get a writable copy of a set that has its own reference tables is to:
- export the ruleset you want to copy to DSX
- replace the ruleset name with your own ruleset name. Renames all standard ruleset files.
- replace 'Readonly "1"' with Readonly "0". Makes it writable when you import it.
- replace the ruleset path (found by searching for "Category") with your own location. Keeps your version away from the standard version.
- find all instances of =@RefTableName.TBL and replace all instances of RefTableName with your own ref table name. Changes the reference in both the PAT file and SET file and also the name of the file in the DSX.
- import the updated DSX file

Hope this helps.
divstands
Participant

Post by divstands »

stuartjvnorton wrote:Not familiar with the Mexican ruleset.

Also, don't know whether v8.0 understands v7.5 ruleset files. The filenames of the override files changed between versions IIRC. Ray or one of the other QS boffins might be able to help you there.

One other thing about .TBL files that I forgot to mention earlier. When you copy the ruleset using DS, it still refers to the reference table that the original ruleset refers to, so they now share the 1 read-only TBL file. Not really what you're looking for.

IMO, the easiest way to get a writable copy of a set that has its own reference tables is to:
- replace the ruleset name with your own ruleset name. Renames all standard ruleset files.
- replace 'Readonly "1"' with Readonly "0". Makes it writable when you import it.
- replace the ruleset path (found by searching for "Category") with your own location. Keeps your version away from the standard version.
- find all instances of =@RefTableName.TBL and replace all instances of RefTableName with your own ref table name. Changes the reference in both the PAT file and SET file and also the name of the file in the DSX.

Hope this helps.

What is IIRC?
divstands
Participant

Post by divstands »

Hope this helps.
Hi Stuart

there are many abbreviations used in your post ( like IIRC, DSX) which freshers to QS like me dont understand. Can you please mention. It might be a silly query but it would help. Thanx in advance!
divstands
Participant

Post by divstands »

Hope this helps.
Do we need to do this for all the sub-rulesets for a particular Country. Say, for example if Mexcio Rule Sets Contain:
MXADDR ( Mexico Address)
MXAREA ( Mexico Area)
MXNAME ( Mexico Name)
MXPREP ( Mexico Preparatory)

Then just performign the process you mentioned above only for MXADDR is not bringing any change
divstands
Participant

Post by divstands »

Hope this helps.
Hey Stuart

When i installed QS v8.0, it was not accopmnied by the Mexican Rulesets. But i had a notepad file for same separately. And i checked just now:

the readonly status was "0" when i had imported the original ruleset. Even then i was not able to edit the table MXADDRAS.TBL

Hence the change in the property Readonly doesnt seem to work. Please guide.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The client prevents you from editing out-of-the-box rule sets. However, you can edit the rule set files (they are all text files) directly.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
divstands
Participant

Post by divstands »

ray.wurlod wrote:The client prevents you from editing out-of-the-box rule sets. However, you can edit the rule set files (they are all text files) directly. ...
I have tried both ways Ray( renaming the ruleset , editing the text folder)...

1. i had a rule set to begin with( Mesican V8.0)
2. i imported it.
3. i tried renaming the ruleset and many more export-then change-then import trials. It never worked
4. i tried taking the original ruleset, renaming the ruleset names and components and imported the same. It still did not work.

5. The orgininal rulset was in teadonly mode "0". the only option left is
to re-import the original ruleset--- making it to overrite. but the issue is "what if that too doesnt work? at least now other jobs are running."
stuartjvnorton
Participant

Post by stuartjvnorton »

A few things:

IIRC - If I Recall Correctly
DSX - an output file format for exporting from DS. I mention it only because I know where to find stuff in theses ones. ;-)

The original way I described is for when the ruleset doesn't have reference tables associated with the ruleset. ie: no .TBL files. Easier to do it this way if you can.
The second way is the easiest way I found to make an editable copy of a ruleset that has associated .TBL files. Otherwise, they are shared with the read-only ruleset. Not good when you want to edit the .TBL file.

So if the Mexican files are like US or AU rulesets, I'd imagine you can use the first method for AREA and ADDR, and the second method for PREP and NAME.

The differences between v7.5 rulesets and v8 rulesets that I know of are:
- output fields can now be longer than 2 chars (shouldn't make things not work)
- The override files are renamed. eg USADDRIT.TBL is now USADDR.ITO (this may very well make it not work)
- an apparent PAT compiler bug that doesn't cause an issue in the standard rulesets that I've seen. Fixed in v8.

Also from your other thread, the name of your ruleset is now 9 characters. Rename it back to 8 characters. It will work fine in the test window, but fail when you try to use it in a job.

Hope this helps.
divstands
Participant

Post by divstands »

Hi Bobbybooda

Were you able to solve the issue. Are you successfully able to add entries and run the jobs?
Divya